September 06, 2006

Five Years

Above image (Ground Zero)

September 10, 2001, 11:50PM

It always feels good to leave the city to the restless souls who never seem to know the difference between dusk and dawn. I could barely keep my eyes open as the train whisked my exhausted body away from the office. It was a few minutes before midnight and I couldn’t wait to get home to see the tots snoring in their miniature beds. I longed to kiss their tiny brown foreheads and to whisper in their ears how much their father loved them.

My wife was up, nursing. Our apartment still smelled of the empty agelgil that bore traces of the Ethiopian lamb her grandmother had laboriously cooked, frozen, and packed in Addis Ababa barely 48 hours ago. I salivated, just thinking about the tender and spiced Ethiopian lamb. We had celebrated the new year (our EnQuTaTash) with our friends, including the entire CDE team, around the leathery agelgil. I placed a couple of calls to Addis to wish a few members of the family a happy new year and fell asleep staring at the image of my wife with our son in her arms.

And then we woke up to pure hell, and inherited a new world.

We dedicate this posting to the 2948 people who perished on September 11, 2001. Our prayers are with the thousands of families who have endured the pain and agony of losing a loved one on that day, including the 3000 children who lost a parent in NY, Virginia, and Pennsylvania. We also dedicate this to Michael Dublin Marh, an awesome friend, an awesome human being, an awesome American. Watching the towers come down was a horrific experience.

Wegenoch, enkwan aderesachuh.

An Ethiop Office Rant

I have avoided all interaction with the man down the hall in the past several years since I joined this east coast outfit. The dour self-ri...